HIIT, or high intensity interval training, is a workout that will help you burn fat, boost your metabolism, and lose weight much faster, because you're working harder in a shorter amount of time than most other types of workouts. If you haven't tried a HIIT workout, read on for reasons why you should and how to get started.
What Is A HIIT Workout?
A HIIT workout consists of exercises you do with intensity (think multiple repetitions with light to heavy weights), then moving quickly to another exercise without much of a pause in between each exercise. Mix up the workout to make it a whole body routine, or focus on one part of the body such as all abs, arms, or legs and glutes.
What Are The Benefits?
HIIT workouts allow you to work out with intensity for shorter periods of time, which means you'll have more time to do other things. Who doesn't have time to fit a 20 minute workout into their schedule? These workouts also help you to burn calories longer, after you've finished your workout; you'll boost your metabolism, which means you're burning calories throughout the day as well. This extra calorie burn will mean you'll lose weight much faster and meet your weight loss goals quickly.
HIIT workouts can be mixed up and changed around, so they are great workouts for those that get bored easily.
Beginner HIIT Workout
Find out if your local gym has any HIIT fitness programs for beginners. Here's an at-home HIIT workout to get you started:
- Start by jogging in place for 30 seconds.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, then bend forward and get into a plank position. Walk your hands back to the starting position and walk yourself back out to the plank position. Repeat 3 more times.
- While in the plank position, bring one foot up toward the same hand. Move your foot back and repeat on the other side. Repeat these steps 5 more times on each side.
- Next, begin doing lunges, alternating each leg (with or without weights in each hand). Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Stand with your feet wide and do sumo squats for 30 seconds.
- Lay on the floor and do long-levered crunches for 30 seconds.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and bend your knees, holding weights; touch your toes with the weights and stand back up. Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Repeat steps 4 thru 7, 3 more times.
This is a quick workout that is perfect for a beginner. Try a HIIT workout today and reach your weight loss goals quickly.